Thursday, March 31, 2016

Training Solo or in a Group?

 
 
Now this is a fun topic. I have found myself on both sides of this topic at times. Spoiler alert I lean toward the group side these days. That's not to say I don't enjoy the solo side at times. It definitely feels more meditative and I pretend that I'm way more hardcore than people who rely on people to perform. Honestly for me though it's just not the case. If your training is tough enough that it produces great performance results then it definitely gets easier to skip workouts or do less sets than you are supposed to. Accountability brings success in so many avenues of life why wouldn't you want it applied by default in your lifting life. 

Also I am a freaking show off so having people around to be amazed by my awesomeness is kind of nice. It sucks really bad when people stronger than you are there if you are a straight ego lifter. The flip side is that if you are surrounded by people better than you it tends to raise the bar and you will progress way faster. The little fish in a big pond gets bigger or gets eaten. Be the little fish and grow your ass off.

A final thing that's pretty beneficial is coaching and keeping you honest. If you are squatting high and you are solo it's pretty easy to convince yourself it was a good rep. If you are with a crew they can and should call your butt out.

Yep after my last trip to the Mash Compound I am having a really hard time being okay with flying solo. Find a crew and start progressing.

So what's your experience? Solo or Group?

Talk soon,

Dan is a nationally ranked amateur
strongman competitor in the 242lb
and 275lb classes and a powerlifter in the 275lb class. He holds instructor level ranks in Taekwondo, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He as been training people for strength and martial arts since 2004.

You can follow Dan on Instagram @RoninStr
For training and diet plans email roninstr@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I think it really depends
    I have had the best strength gains with a group of 3 that seems to be the optimal amount of people for me . It gives a great sense of competition.
    As far as training alone I have the best muscle building.Because it lets me focus on the contraction. I'm a little bit of a ego lifter so a group causes me to focus on numbers

    ReplyDelete